Regular exercise can reduce the risk of varicose veins and improve blood circulation by strengthening the muscles in the legs and other parts of the body. If you spend a lot of time in sitting at work or in a car, there are still exercises that you can practice underneath the table that will help get blood pumping from the calves to the heart.
Here are four simple exercises to do whether you are at work or at home:
- Extend your legs forward.
- Flex your toes towards the ceiling, maintain for 10 seconds then release.
- Point your toes straight with extended legs, maintain for 10 seconds then release.
- Repeat the motion 10 times.
- Rotate your feet at the ankles.
- Turn your ankles clockwise 10 times
- Then counterclockwise 10 times
- Between each series, take 20 seconds to rest.
Standing, legs parallel
- Legs parallel standing at hip width distance
- Rock back and forth from your toes to your heel.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times.
- Rest for 10 seconds.
Laying down in bed or on a mat
- Lie down on your back and raise your legs.
- Start moving your legs n a pedaling motion as if you are on a bike
- Stride for 15 counts with each leg
- Rest for 20 seconds in between each series.